Tuesday 24 February 2015

A Hazel Hedgehog Quilt for Siblings Together




So last week I finished my Siblings Together Bee quilt and started to think about a new project. But then I saw THIS PATTERN by Elizabeth Hartman for the cutest hedgehog quilt that I have ever seen! I tried to ignore it, after all, I had other plans, but an idea took hold and wouldn't let me ignore it. This pattern would make a wonderful quilt for Siblings Together. It could be made from scraps. A wide age range of children, both boys and girls would love a hedgehog quilt. Siblings Together are having a quilt drive to try and get 100 quilts before the summer camps start. I really ought to make this quilt for them!
So, the deed was done! Pattern purchased and my weekend spent with hedgehogs breeding like rabbits!
To be perfectly honest, when I made the first block, I wondered what I had got myself into. 


This was not a quick make. Just cutting out the pieces took quite some time. It was very good fun t make though.
To speed things up, I set up a production line. The pieces for 8 Hazels were cut out and each stage of sewing the block repeated 8 times.
It made things go much faster, and I thoroughly recommend this method to anyone considering making this quit. No planning went into the colour choices. I just grabbed pieces of solid fabric that looked to be big enough. I'm very pleased with the results though and love each and every one of these little Hazel Hedgehogs. I still have quite a way to go, but it's fun project for a good cause.

As you can see from the Quiltometer in my sidebar, we now have 13 finished quilts for Siblings Together, and I know a good few are in process of being made. If you want to help out in any way, or find out more about the charity, hop over to Maria's blog at Sew Love To Sew for more information.

Linking up this week with Let's Bee Social and Work in Progress Wednesday

38 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Their only problem now is choosing which lucky child will receive it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's someone else's decision, but they say that by the end of the camp they know which quilt is best matched to each child, so I'm sure there will be a hedgehog loving boy or girl among them.

      Delete
  2. There will be fights over this one! It really is a wonderful quilt. Jennifer cracked the whip at the weekend, and the three of us made a few blocks for a sibling quilt, though Jen gets most of the credit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked on IG as though you had a great weekend. I'm sure all your blocks will help :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow it's fantastic it's going to be loved that's for sure.:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hedgies look so good - this is going to be a fantastic quilt. Someone is going to feel very lucky and loved when they receive it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty. I hope they have as much fun with it as I'm having making it!

      Delete
  5. It's looking so good, I love that you didn't plan the colours and it works so brilliantly. I cracked yesterday and bought the pattern too! BUT it must wait it's turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! There will be more Hazels in the world! As for waiting.... I hope your willpower is better than mine!

      Delete
  6. This is adorable! I'm sure whoever gets the quilt will love it. And thanks for the tips on getting a quilt like this put together a little faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! These hedgehogs are so sweet! Love the use of the solids. Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it. So CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aarghh! I'm already pondering over the quilting. I don't think I can bear to quilt over those hedgehog's faces!

      Delete
  8. These make me smile...big! Yes a lot of work, but oh so worth it! Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm thoroughly enjoying this project.

      Delete
  9. I nearly bought the pattern before Christmas but didn't as the hedgehogs were rather big for what I needed but I do love them. It's going to be a fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Maria. I'm already planning a second one in my head that I intend to keep incase anyone in the family needs a baby gift :-)

      Delete
  10. These are looking SOOO cute!! Siblings Together sounds like a wonderful organization and I love that you are being so considerate in your making! So many times people give away the quilts they don't really care so much for, but you are giving an adorable(!!) (and challenging to make) quilt that a child will LOVE. I appreciate that so much.
    I can't believe you gave no thought to colors - the first thing I thought when I looked at the nine of them, was "Wow - she totally nailed the color combination/placement"
    Have a beautiful day ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a lovely long and positive comment. I'm not sure the colour scheme will survu=ive the next few Hazel additions, but it will still be loved.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for such lovely comments Tracy. I'm enjoying making it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun quilt! Love the bright colors. It will be a well loved quilt when it finally makes it to it's new owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Kate. I'm sure it will be loved too.

      Delete
  13. It's such a gorgeous quilt, those hedgehogs are adorable! You are making fantastic progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is taking quite a time, Sarah, but I look on it as good piecing practise!

      Delete
  14. Oh good grief, Hazel is so cute! Love the colour choices too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's going to be hard to give this one away!

      Delete
  15. Really lovely :) and wow! 13 quilts already! I'm getting together a Bristol 'bee' and hoping to contribute a few too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! 13 is amazing considering the short time we've had the drive going. Good luck with your Bee :-)

      Delete
  16. This is going to be a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! Love how bright the Hazels look! Would make me smile looking at it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...