Saturday 15 March 2014

Springing into Action

Yes, all that gorgeous cherry blossom is in my garden. It's been in flower for the last week - Spring has definitely arrived!
Suddenly, there is so much to do.
I've swapped these

for these

I've been sowing (not sewing!)……..lots of seeds


Sweet peas are a must have flower in my garden each year, soI've been soaking seeds I saved from last years's flowers

and planting them in tall "pots" made from newspaper.


I've been buying potatoes tubers 

and moving the salad leaves that were in the greenhouse all winter to an outside spot.


It's so nice to see the garden swathed in sunshine.
I haven't completely forgotten my sewing though. I've made the quarter square triangles for my quilt.


And guess what! I bought an adjustable dressmaking model !


Sorry about the photo bombing by the cat…..she's yet to learn that life doesn't always revolve around her!
I have wanted one of these for so long, and as making more of my own clothes was one of my New Year resolutions, I decided now was the time to take the plunge. It was quite a long process adjusting it to my measurements, and it still doesn't accurately emulate my really short waist, but I'm hoping it will be a lot of help in getting an accurate fit.
Of course, once I had the model, I needed to buy some fabric to make some clothes with. I took a trip to Leamington Spa as there was supposed to be a very good fabric store there.Well, all I can say is, I was very disappointed. I stopped and bought some lunch and googled fabric shops on my phone. There were 2 more fabric shops in Leamington, so I went off exploring, and I'm so glad I did, as I found this little gem.


and I was thrilled. It has lots of nicely labelled fabric on easily accessible shelves. It has patterns to browse, all the needles, zips etc you could want, and the most friendly and knowledgeable staff I have ever come across. I will be going back!!

I bought some cotton jersey for T shirts and  tops


and some dress fabric.


I'm so thrilled with that top one. I didn't see it until the last minute when I was actually at the counter about to pay. It just happened to have a pink in it that I knew instantly would be a perfect match for a jacket I have.
As soon as I got home I draped it on my dress from, with the jacket on top.


See how good that match is?


I have a wedding to go to in May, and if I can just make a dress, that fits…., that I like……… then that wedding will be sorted!
It's a good job I got all those seeds sOwn, because I think it's back to the sEwing  now!


4 comments:

  1. It was lovely to see the sun again Julie but I fear it was very brief in my part of England, however I too managed to get out into the garden and try out the new loppers my brother got me for Christmas, they are fantastic but I fear I went a little crazy and chopped nearly everything in sight. How lovely to have a new dress form you must name her! I love your dress fabric, looking forward to seeing what you make with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be a beautiful dress and jacket! Love the cat bombing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's all go in your house! Your garden is going to look beautiful, you will have to share some photos. I'm looking forward to following your dress making adventures too, what gorgeous fabrics you found. I love the cat bombing too ;-) PS did you see a copy of the latest Love P and Q Magazine, they seem to have the same cat bombing problem lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Happy busy times. That dress is going to look stunning. Sweet peas are my absolute favourite too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...